Location: Kabul, Afghanistan, with frequent travel to the field.
Responsible to: You will be managed by the Regional Director for Afghanistan & Tajikistan.
Direct line management of: Field office senior team members, as per organisational structure in force.
Position and type of contract: Expatriate contract and terms; unaccompanied position (non-family duty station). 24 months fixed term contract, with the opportunity to renew. As per all Mission East positions, this position is dependent upon continued funding. The first three months are a trial period.
Role purpose / overall responsibility: To lead Mission East activities in Afghanistan, delivering all aspects of country programme and operational management such that they are compliant to internationally recognised standards of quality, good practice, and local legislative requirements.
To contribute to the further strategic direction of Mission East’s activities in Afghanistan.
Key Tasks and responsibilities:
• Identify trends and opportunities for Mission East in Afghanistan in keeping with country strategy: support Regional Director in updating strategy.
• Build donor & partner relationships in Afghanistan to support the organization’s strategic direction, in cooperation with Regional Director
• Ensure learning from monitoring & evaluation on programme and organization level.
• Ensure compliance with quality standards & donor requirements.
Programme Management & Development
• Manage successful the development and completion of Mission East programmes and projects in Afghanistan:
• Steer needs-assessments preparing ground for potential new projects and coordinate organizational-assessments of (potential) local partners.
• Oversee planning, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) with Mission East’s system and tools.
• Ensure M&E data is used for quality project management, strategy, and programme policy development.
• Visit individual project sites on a regular basis.
• Support programme forming and team building between the individual projects.
• Coordinate reporting and communication as per Mission East and donor’s requirements and procedures.
• Support the development and implementation of agreed growth plans with relevant local civil society partners, and ensure high standards of partnership
• Deliver timely quality reporting to donors and other external partners.
• Line manages and supports key staff (expatriate and national) in their tasks and development.
• Promote staff wellbeing in Afghanistan.
• Align actively the country’s human resource (HR) practice and policies with Mission East’s global HR management procedures.
• In case of absence of key project staff, take up direct management of project/ programme.
Liaison & Coordination
• Appropriate and extensive liaison with other (I)NGOs, donors, and governmental agencies and ministries, for excellent coordination and representation through established in-country coordination mechanisms and networks.
• Raise Mission East’s visibility and profile in all relevant and key networks (clusters etc.), for increased recognition of Mission East Afghanistan portfolio.
• Manage Proposal Development and Fundraising processes
• Seek external and in-country funding for current and potential new projects and programmes.
• Coordinate proposal design and writing.
• Ensure that Mission East’s Afghanistan programming conforms to country government strategies and law and collaborates/ coordinates with government programmes.
Finance and Administration
• Manage country and programme budgets and finances.
• Ensure compliance with all Mission East financial and administrative procedures and policies, and with applicable donor regulations.
• Be responsible for the safety and security of all staff & visitors.
• Lead field security planning and management in line with Mission East policy.
• Carry out other duties, which may or may not be related to the job, as reasonably requested