Scope of work:
The Education Programme is implemented in five SCA Regional Management Offices (RMOs) and one Liaison Office in the east, southeast, central, north, and northeast parts of the country. The focus of the Education Programme is Community Based Education (CBE) from Grades 1-12.
Education of Adolescent Girls and Livelihood Support to Poor Households is a short-term project funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). The project is implemented jointly by the SCA Education and Rural Development Program (RDP) aiming at improving access to education for adolescent girls and supporting poor households with livelihood interventions.
The project, to be implemented in parts of the 14 Provinces of Afghanistan - Nangarhar, Laghman, Kunar, Ghazni, Paktika, Bamiyan, Wardak, Balkh, Samangan, Jawzjan, Kunduz, Baghlan, Badakhshan and Takhar - aims at contributing to: Improved access to safe, protective, and inclusive education in SCA target education settings; Improving Quality of education in SCA target education settings Management of education at provincial, and school levels in target areas; Influence of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Professional Associations and Rights holders in education target areas and Safeguarding livelihoods of poor and vulnerable households
The Education Project Officer (Women’s and Girls’ Education) is a full-time field based (minimum 75%). The successful candidate(s) will directly operate under the respective Education Project Management Teams. She will work in close collaboration with Education Field Supervisors, Education Master Trainers, teachers, other SCA staff, local leaders, local education authorities School Management Shura members, School Teachers, Inclusive Education Resource Persons, and staff from other SCA programmes and units at RMO/LO level.
Throughout the duration of the project, she will have the responsibility of contributing to enhancement of inclusive quality education for all children. She will closely work with the Education Project team in the smooth implementation of the project activities with a primary focus of improving access and participation of all children in quality education, especially girls (Grades 1-12) and participation of women in education and development.
The Education Project officer (Women’s and Girls Education) reports to the Senior Education Officer (FCDO).
- Acting in accordance with SCA’s policies and regulations and SCA Education directives.
- Providing updates on issues related to SCA and the environment where SCA operates.
- Professional liaison with SCA staff, Advocacy, Human Rights and Gender Programme units, local leaders, local education authorities, international and national NGOs working in Community Based education, girls’ education and women’s empowerment and participation
- Supporting implementation of education activities related to the project in the field. This includes providing support to SMS members, teachers in implementation of project activities in line with the feedback from stakeholders, project objectives and plans.
- Implementing of other duties as delegated by the respective supervisor and Education Project Manager
- Supporting the Community Mentors (Women’s and Girls’ Education) in project implementation, follow up and supporting girls’ and women’s participation in education.
- Promoting inclusion, gender equality, and non-discriminative programming against girls and women in education
- Organizing and participating in periodical meetings with teachers, parents, school management shura members, communities, women and girls to create awareness on benefits of inclusive education
- Advocating for the education of girls and recruitment, training and provision of support to women teachers and women School Management Shura (SMS) members
- Participating in workshops, seminars & conference organised by the education programme
- Organizing community, women-women and girl-girls forums to discuss the education needs of girls in and out of school
- Organizing regular meetings with girls, women and school management shura members in schools and communities to discuss and address their needs in education with local education authorities
- Campaigning and mobilizing enrolment, retention and community support towards girls’ education and women’s participation
- Participating in monitoring inclusion in CBE schools/classes jointly with the education staff in RMOs/LOs and sharing the main findings with respective Education Project Management Team members for discussion.
- Monitoring and reporting on progress being achieved through regular visits to schools, local communities, teachers, and school management shura’s and make recommendations for improvement in order to realize positive significant changes
- Establishing, maintaining, updating, tracking and reporting on project outputs, indicators, data and information related to girls and women in participation and involvement in education
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with the Education Project team members, colleagues from other SCA units and other education stakeholders.
- Being approachable, diplomatic, professional, and supportive to all stakeholders
- Engaging other team members in understanding inclusive education, especially girls’ education (grades 1-12) and participation of women in education and development based on new information gained through meetings, seminars, workshops and from the field.
- Track the project budget in consultation with the respective Senior officer or Education Project Manager.
- To assist the Education Project Officer in preparation of budget.
- To review Budget Follow Ups (BFUs) and come with a feed back to the Senior Officer or Education Project Managers on any over or under spending.
- To supervise, monitor and provide support to CBE, NCBE and coaching class administration staffs in proper implementation of girls’ education from grade 1-12.
- Act according to SCA policies, guidelines, and regulations
- Promote an attitude of team spirit and a strong focus on quality.
- Promote gender equality and non-discrimination that could be based on ethnicity, political affiliation, and religion among others.
- Actively contribute to the successful development and good reputation of SCA.
- Develop good co-operation with other SCA programmes, local authorities and institutions, local leadership, and other NGOs.
- Do the related job as delegated by the Education Project Manager or his designate.